This is my blog in English, about the stuff I do for a living, and about the stuff I read about the stuff I do for a living - when I am not working.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Wow, 2012

It is already 2012. I though I'd have more posts written on this blog, but to be honest I have been a consumer and not a producer of Internet content in the recent past. I am not even listing this blog anywhere else anymore.

But let's not cry over spilled milk. 2012 is here, and what does that mean? It means that I need to learn something new, and I am going towards learning HTML 5 and start porting a custom Flex/ Java app to Java only using HTML 5 and Wicket. This is going to be interesting because:

. The application is fairly complex; It has menus and a MDI interface that is completely customizable;
. It will have a very large number of forms;
. At times it will display a very large number of components on the screen;
. It has charts!

So basically this is what I have in mind:

. Create the basic navigation structure using Wicket (base pages, views, etc...);
. Use Wicket/ JavaScript/ CSS to handle the layout of the pages/ forms, using some framework to do that if such thing exists;
. Use the same "engine" code used today in the Flex application. We tried to keep a clear separation of what is "engine" and what is "presentation" so that any transition would be made smoothly as possible. Ideally the transition can be partial (for example, one could see charts in a HTML 5 but all the editing is done in Flex).

This is a very interesting project that my employer wants. So let's see where that will get me.

---

I have been working in a home-office in the past 4 months and it has been working very well so far. I need to get a new chair but everything else has been working just fine, although I have 2 UPS units to prevent the computer from dying ever again during a power outage (a big one is used in the CPU and the smaller ones are using for monitors/ lamp/ etc...).

No comments:

Post a Comment